Here is the itinerary of our 5-day trip in Indonesia with kids: from Surabaya to Mount Bromo and then from Kawah Ijen to Bali. The post on Mount Bromo ascent is already available here and the post on Kawah Ijen ascent will be inserted when it is published.
We landed in Surabaya (Pin A), drove to Bromo (Pin B), then to Kawah Ijen (Pin C), took a ferry from south Java to Bali (Pin D) before taking our return flight to Singapore on the last day.
Day 1 : Arrival in Indonesia, Surabaya
- Landed at Surabaya airport in late afternoon.
- Drove towards the foot of Mount Bromo with a driver who was booked from Singapore (3h drive)
- Spent the night at Yoschi’s Guesthouse in a family cottage (contact: adiyoschi [at] yahoo.com) – Some might say it is a bit shabby but it is clean and the food is decent.
Day 2 : Bromo – Kawah Ijen
- Early in the morning, jeep excursion for a sunrise over the Mount Bromo (view from another volcano which almost does not require to walk to access it)
- Ascent of Mount Bromo
- Returned to the B&B for breakfast and to pick our backpack
- Drove toward the foot of Kawah Ijen (7 hours of
trailsroads seriously damaged!)
- Walking tour in the surroundings
- Spent the night at Arabica Homestay (shabbier than the previous one and the food isn’t so great but there are not many tourist accommodations in the area!)
Day 3 : Kawah Ijen – Bali
- Ascent of Kawah Ijen (5am)
- Drove towards the south of Java
- Boat + Bus to Bali (Kissed our driver goodbye) (at least 3h)
- Arrived at Tabanan (west coast of Bali)
- Spent the night in a hotel by the beach
Day 4 : Bali
- Pool & Beach (due to the rocks, swimming at the beach in Tabanan is impossible)
- Spent the night in the same hotel
Day 5 : Way back to Singapore
Contact information of the driver from Surabaya to the pier towards Bali
elora_lintang [at] yahoo.co.id
2,5 million rupiah for 3 days (to be divided by the number of people in the van)
ATTENTION: Ideal only if your kids don’t mind spending long hours in a van! This trip is quite hard. You could easily do it on two separate trips. From Surabaya to Bromo AND from Bali to Kawah Ijen.
Do not hesitate to ask any question using the comment form below.